Thursday, April 9, 2009

Foodie Friday: Taco Soup


Hello and welcome!! The best day of the week has circled its way back to us, yeah, it is FRIDAY!!


Are you hungry?? I hope so, because we have a delightful hostess who will be guiding us on a food fair that you will not want to miss. Stop by Designs by Gollum to see what's cookin'.

Have you ever been hungry for something, but you are not really sure what it is that you want?? And, maybe you do not really feel like cooking a complete meal? I have just the thing for you. Again this week I come without an exact recipe, so lets just throw some stuff together.

I really like all types of soup, so today we will have a soup that is very similar to a taco soup. Start searching your pantry & refrigerator for the following items: Ground Meat, onion, garlic, diced tomatoes, beans, corn, taco seasoning, chili powder, salt & pepper.



Brown your meat. Then I add a little olive oil since I typically buy a 96% ground meat/4% fat mixture of ground meat. Add your onion, garlic, taco seasoning, chili powder, salt & pepper. Add about a cup of water and simmer a few minutes.



Lastly add another cup of water, diced tomatoes, beans & corn. At this point I add more of the above seasonings because I like it with lots of flavor. Also, I prefer my soup with black beans instead of chili beans, but all I have in my pantry are chili beans.

Cover & let the soup simmer about 45 minutes or so.




Top off your soup with some crushed tortilla chips & shredded cheese if you have any on hand. This is so simple, and it tastes pretty good. You can make your own variation by adding, deleting or substituting other ingredients.





Do not forget to stop by Designs by Gollum, I know that you all will definitely find something that is to mouth-watering to pass up!!

I hope you all have a wonderful Easter!!

Nicole~




20 comments:

Joyce said...

I enjoy a hot bowl of soup on a cold day and this looks delicious. Thank you for sharing.
Joyce

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

I wish I could be one of those cooks who doesn't follow a recipe. You and others who do that impress me so much! I'm afraid to deviate a teaspoon away from the written instructions! This soup sounds delicious. laurie

Barb @ The Everyday Home said...

The perfect combination - soup and Mexican. Yum! This sounds deelish!
Thanks for sharing, Barb

Melissa Miller said...

Hi Nicole, Yummy!

My hubby will love preparing this recipe.
He has become quite the cook lately. It's too cute!
I'll show him your post.

Have a blessed Easter.
~Melissa :)

Unknown said...

That made me soo hungry! What a fun recipe!
Thanks so much!
~Really Rainey~

Martha said...

Soup is usually our lunch in fall and winter -- homemade soup. This looks delicious.

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

Nicole, That sounds hearty and delish. I love soups, and it's great to have another one to add to my collection! Linda

imjacobsmom said...

Hey, this sounds really good and right up my alley! I'm saving this to my favs! ~ Robyn

Kristen said...

Mmmm, I love taco soup!

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

This sounds really good -- love your fur babies!

Ashley ~ said...

I LOVE me some Taco soup*! As soon as my tummy is a little better from the chemo drugs, I will be trying that one for sure*!!! Have a Blessed Holiday Weekend*!
_Ashley*

Lori (All That Splatters) said...

I also love a nice hot bowl of soup on a chilly day. This looks wonderful. Thank you for sharing your recipe!

Beth at Aunties said...

We love Taco soup and your version looks wonderful!

Easter Greetings!

The Stylish House said...

Nicole,
Keep the recipes coming; you know I am a fan. My husband will love this one for sure. I also liked your idea you left on my blog about using a fabric for the monogram matt. Hope you had a nice Easter, I over did it on the jelly beans…take care. ~Cathy~

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

I just love soup -- this looks like a keeper recipe!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Nicole...This looks absolutely yummy! I love cheese and corn...so I know I would love this!! Thanks for sharing the recipe! I hope you had a wonderful Easter!...hugs...Debbie

Terrie's Lil' Piece of Serenity said...

I just found your blog. I love it. Your little yorkie is so.. cute. This taco soup looks wonderful.

xinex said...

Hi Nicole! I hope you had a wonderful and blessed Easter! We are finally home and have been trying to catch up. I have missed you all!...Christine

Anonymous said...

Hi Nicole! I'm so glad you popped in to see me today! Oh, I've been scrolling down through your blog and I must say I've fallen in love with that little Bentley! He is just adorable!
Have a wonderful day!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

GM Nicole...now girl this is my favorite soup..nothing better on a cold day..thanks for coming by and I hope your Easter was great...hugs and smiles Gl♥ria